baseball

Scott Harris’ directive resonates with Detroit Tigers’ AJ Hinch

Scott Harris didn’t answer the big question: So, is this a Detroit Tigers rebuild?

He danced around a “yes” or “no” response, instead generally focusing on an offseason ahead that will further reveal the path of his Tigers. Executing his vision isn’t an overnight task. He did not draft, trade or sign any of the players in the Tigers’ organization. He is new here.

Harris, the 35-year-old president of baseball operations, pledged to make “a lot of moves” before next year’s spring training, and many will coincide with conviction in his pursuit of building a championship team. He believes in focusing on what’s right in front of him, making the best baseball decision, then moving to the next task.

“We have to take calculated risks to narrow the gap between this organization and the other organizations we’re chasing right now,” Harris said Tuesday at Comerica Park. “When we go into the winter, we are not going to be risk-averse. We can’t be risk-averse. Taking calculated risks as part of a broader strategy of roster building and organization building, it will pay off at the end That’s how we’re looking at it.”

SHAWN WINDSOR:Tigers’ Scott Harris aims to modernize a franchise stuck in the past

The timeline of when the world should expect the Tigers to compete is unclear. Harris won’t formally take over day-to-day MLB operations until Oct. 6, meaning assistant general manager Sam Menzin stay in charge until then. It’s a transitional period for Harris to evaluate and assess staff, players and the organization as a whole to prepare for the offseason.

This season, though, has been mostly a nightmare. The lack of momentum, as CEO and chairman Christopher Ilitch previously said, led to former general manager Al Avila’s firing in August.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.